Ideal Bookshelf

Filed under: Fun — marcia at 10:32 am on Saturday, June 5, 2010

Immediately after the NY Times Paper Cuts blog bemoaned the lack of reciprocity between visual artists and novelists, saying that painters don’t incorporate books into their art the way novelists incorporate the visual arts into their stories, I saw this fun project by Jane Mount called Ideal Bookshelf.

idealbookshelf.jpgMount takes the favorite books people choose to represent themselves and does a painting of their ideal bookshelf. She says:

We show off our books on shelves like merit badges, because we’re proud of the ideas we’ve ingested to make us who we are, and we hope to connect with others. I think this is endearing and charming. When I paint someone else’s bookshelf and they have the same book I do, I feel inordinately joyful about it, and about them.

Of course, the Times blogger wasn’t talking about literally using books or images of books in art. But seeing an artist portray a shelf of books as a window into an individual’s hearts, minds, and souls is surely a fun way for the two arts to join forces.
Off to work on what my ideal bookshelf would be! What’s yours?

9 Comments »

Comment by victor spano

June 14, 2015 @ 11:32 pm

I’m very thankful for this post, if it wasn’t for this post I’d probably still be looking on Google for what I was looking for. Much appreciation!

Comment by imperial advance

July 12, 2015 @ 11:30 pm

Be sure to preserve your life force, chi. This practice is absolutely essential. Be sure to respect the power of words. Don’t engage in vulgar language or activity.

Comment by Dr. David T. Turbyfill DMD

July 20, 2015 @ 4:32 pm

At times like this it boils down to finding the information required, which as I’m sure you know can take some time. This post helped me figure out what I needed.

Comment by peter taulli

July 22, 2015 @ 11:19 pm

We research, develop and provide unique repair solutions for your computer problems. We will always diagnose your machine with no strings attached.

Comment by David Krulewich

July 29, 2015 @ 5:08 pm

Comment by peter taulli

August 2, 2015 @ 9:50 pm

Businesses must carefully manage their business and be mindful of how to leverage technologies that provide maximum productivity, security and ease of use.

Comment by The Merchant Solutions

September 16, 2015 @ 3:55 am

Personally we believe in building long-term relationships and making certain that our clients succeed in all their goals because their success is our success. What do you think about that?

Comment by Robert Farwell edward jones

October 8, 2015 @ 12:47 am

We have a very close relationship with all our clients and we set very clear objectives toward reaching their goal and providing the top leading services only in comparison to much larger higher priced boutiques at affordable rates.

Comment by Lloyd Segal

October 25, 2015 @ 12:18 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.